Is this program right for you?
The UW-Madison’s Fundamentals of Online Teaching Certificate is designed for those who are new to the field of distance education or who are considering teaching in this dynamic and expanding world of online learning. This basic overview provides a launching point into the field as you learn about the strategies and tools used by successful and experienced online educators.
The certificate course is taught completely online, enabling you to choose the time and place to learn. You’ll review established models, best practices, and strategies for teaching online and be part of an online learning community. Teachers and trainers at all levels tell us that this online learning experience better prepared them to enter into the world of online teaching.
Taking just six weeks to complete, the program is designed to be cost- and time-effective. The certificate course encompasses six modules; each module includes instruction, readings, reflective activities, and knowledge checks, with an assignment due at the end of each module. You’ll complete a project based on a course you currently teach or would like to develop. Experts in distance education provide regular feedback to students during the program as well as a comprehensive evaluation of the final course project.
What you Learn
- Principles, strategies, and models of online teaching and learning
- Proven practices for planning, teaching, and managing online courses
- A 360-degree view of online education, from both the teacher and student perspective
Where & How you learn
- Complete 6 online modules
- Interact with classmates in online discussions to share ideas about tactics and practices for teaching in the online classroom
- Use a course of your choice to complete a final project