Is this program right for you?
If you are a manager in local, state, or federal government or in a tribal or non-profit organization and are looking to better meet the challenges and demands of your job, then the Wisconsin Certified Public Manager (CPM) Program is right for you.
In today’s workplace, managers face increased responsibilities and expectations with fewer resources to meet the demands of their jobs. Our program offers a broad, comprehensive curriculum that will provide you with the opportunity to strengthen your administrative, technical and interpersonal skills through classes, activities, and written and applied projects to help you better manage work and lead people.
The CPM program will enhance your skill set and provide you with the opportunity to network and learn from, and with, professional public managers throughout the state and country. You will also gain access to the broad range of resources, expertise, faculty and leading specialists available at UW Madison.
You can tailor the CPM program to meet your needs. The self-directed format gives you the flexibility to fit the program into your schedule. You may also enroll in a cohort group and attend classes collectively, one to two days per month, to become a certified public manager in 2 years.
The Wisconsin Certified Public Manager Program is committed to supporting managers and their agencies in meeting the highest standards of service delivery. Through education and practical experience, you will be able to take your desired learning outcomes back to your workplace to solve problems and work more effectively. You will gain knowledge, new perspective, and develop a network of colleagues that will keep you energized and motivated as you move forward in your career.
What you Learn
- Assess personal learning, communication and management style
- Establish effective leadership strategies and develop personal leadership philosophy
- Develop and implement strategic plans
- Analyze problems and develop creative problem-solving approaches
- Engage in and promote long-range planning for your organization
- Enhance oral and written communication skills
Where & How you learn
- Complete required courses as your schedule allows through our self-directed program. Finish the program within 18 months to several years. You are required to make progress every year and must finish the program in 7 years.
- Enroll in a cohort group. Attend classes 2 days per month with other students and become a Certified Public Manager within 2 years.
- You may also take individual courses if your goal is not certification.