Is this program right for you?
If you are a licensed practitioner or allied health professional working with older adults and would like to better understand and treat cognitive decline and chronic mental illness and achieve better mental health and overall health outcomes for your patients and clients, this program is right for you. The UW-Madison Advanced Dementia Care Continuing Education series (mid-to-late stages) will provide you with the latest evidence-based, clinical approaches to managing mid-to-late stages of dementia. Topics covered in the Advanced Dementia Care series include: behavioral and psychological symptoms of late stage dementia, managing the challenges of sleep problems in advanced dementia, providing palliative care, managing medical conditions in advanced dementia, decisional capacity, spiritual and cultural needs in advanced dementia, intimacy and sexual needs in advanced dementia, ethical dilemmas in mid-late stage dementia, and more.
In the series, you will learn from geriatric experts who have in-depth knowledge and experience in geriatric mental health. If you are new to the field or a seasoned professional, our inter-professional educational approach will help you better serve your clients and understand the geriatric population. The curriculum is specifically designed to meet your continuing education needs and offers the flexibility you need to fit your schedule and life.
What you Learn
- Collaboration with health care providers to manage late stage medical condition
- To articulate the approaches used in palliative care for advanced dementias
- To recognize spiritual and cultural needs of persons with late stage dementia
- Using a bio-psychosocial approach to behavioral and psychological symptoms of advanced dementia
- Advocating for thoughtful approaches to determining decisional capacity
- Development of mediation skills that address the needs of persons with mid-to-late stage dementia
- Collaboration with medical professionals to better manage sleep problems in advanced dementia
- To discuss effective means to address intimacy and sexual needs in advanced dementia
Where & How you learn
- Attend the Summer Institute
- Take eight more classes of your choice
- Write a final paper on one of your chosen classes