Is this program right for you?
Higher education is growing rapidly around the world, and the focus of American universities is increasingly driven by internationalization. The Global Higher Education Master’s Degree at UW-Madison prepares you to take a leadership role in the international growth of higher education.
We offer the unique opportunity to study higher education from both an American and international perspective. Our program strengthens your capacities for critical thinking, problem-solving, and global competence. You build the skills to engage in educational administration and innovation, research, as a practitioner, or as a scholar in higher education in a global context.
By participating together in a set sequence of classes, your intercultural cohort forms a dynamic, interactive, and collaborative learning community. The cohort format provides a daily platform for exchanging ideas as well as sharing expertise and experiences regarding current and critical issues. In addition, apply your classroom knowledge in an embedded internship to gain hands-on experience in the global education field.
Among other possibilities, the program opens the door for you to take a leadership or policymaking role at an international campus or to join the staff at an American campus in an international education, training, or internship program. Our past graduates have gone on to work at higher education institutions both domestically and internationally, and some have gone on to pursue PhDs in education.
What you Learn
- Develop transnational and intercultural awareness and competence of higher education
- Describe issues, trends, and challenges concerning higher education both domestically and internationally
- Identify and analyze challenges in educational institutions’ engagement with globalized society
- Outline the current trends and focuses in research on higher education in a global context
- Acquire a depth of knowledge about higher education assessment, academic programs, and student services
Where & How you learn
- Accelerated, face-to-face
- Take graduate courses within the Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Analysis and other related fields
- Conduct research both independently and collaboratively with students inside and outside the Global Higher Education Master’s Degree program
- Gain hands-on, practical experience through a practicum at a higher education institution
- Take part in extra-curricular activities such as bi-weekly discussion sessions and a guest-speaker series