Is this program right for you?
Do you know GIS already? Did you take several classes as an undergraduate or do you work with it regularly? Then this program is exactly what you’re looking for! UW–Madison’s Capstone Certificate in Advanced GIS will provide you expert GIS skills in both conceptual and applied realms. You’ll learn how to make informed decisions to solve real-world problems. Learn how to create your own GIS tools, solve big data and spatial analyses, and build interactive, mobile visualizations. Plus, our program is 100% online, making it easy for you to complete your certificate with minimal disruption to your career.
The GIS industry is an expanding sector in the global economy, with a growth rate of approximately 35%. The tools required in the field have become increasingly complex, prompting a large demand for individuals with formal advanced training in GIS. Our program gives you the relevant skills and knowledge to fill that demand.
Better yet? You choose which GIS topics you want to learn about. With this flexible degree, you select any three classes from our amazing online curriculum. Our courses emphasize everything from geocomputing, spatial analysis, cartographic design, geovisualization, and spatial and web programming.
The Cartography/GIS program in UW–Madison’s Department of Geography is world-renowned and has a long tradition of excellence in the field. This advanced capstone certificate is an extension of our Capstone Certificate in GIS Fundamentals, and expands on your strong foundation in GIS theory.
What you Learn
- Take your GIS skills to the next level, learning scripting, spatial analysis, web mapping, mobile mapping, geodatabases, and interactive mapping to solve real-world problems
- Acquire the conceptual skills needed to apply GIS theories using open-source and proprietary software
- Join a massive network
Where & How you learn
- Our courses are 100% online, so you can learn from anywhere in the world without disrupting your career
- Take courses full- or part-time and complete your certificate in 1-3 semesters
All applicants must:
- Have a four-year Bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 GPA from an accredited institution of higher learning.
- Have a minimum background in GIS including:
- Two undergraduate level courses in introductory GIS and/or cartography
- Equivalent work experience will also be considered
- Not be enrolled in other UW–Madison graduate coursework or programs concurrently with our program.
- Non-native English speakers must take either the TOEFL or IELTS exam with scores of:
- TOEFL- 92 for internet-based test (IBT) and 580 for paper test
- IELTS- 7.0