Find a program:

Adult Career Services

Is this service right for you?

You want to change or enhance your career goals.

You want to return to school after a long break.

You have a degree and wish to take a course for credit, perhaps to meet prerequisites of a graduate or professional school program, or for professional continuing education requirements.

Or you simply want to learn new skills in noncredit classes.
Adult Career and Special Student Services provides a first step to connect with resources at UW–Madison. We also offer workshops, individual appointments, assessments, and other services to help you discover a path to a more satisfying career.


Adult Career and Special Student Services is the gateway to the UW–Madison for:

  • Capstone certificate students
  • Students who wish to take courses for credit to qualify for post-baccalaureate program admission
  • Adults seeking professional development and enrichment courses
  • Visiting undergraduate and graduate students

What We Offer

Adult Career and Special Student Services provides:

Advising for University Special students

  • Advisors in ACSSS can help you determine which University Special student status best fits your background and your needs. We can answer enrollment questions and connect you with other departments and offices on campus.

Education planning

  • Talk with an advisor to explore different education programs and connect with the appropriate campus resources.

Career planning

  • Our career counselors can help you assess your interests, skills, and values. We offer techniques and resources for researching career options, along with information about education options. We will help you develop action steps to keep you moving forward. Make a free appointment tailored to your unique needs. Visit Career and Educational Planning.

Education and career workshops

  • We offer workshops to help you with career planning and returning to school.

Scholarship information

  • If you’re an adult student returning after a significant break in your education, Adult Career and Special Student Services can provide you with financial aid information. You may be eligible for scholarships and grants specifically designed for nontraditional and returning adult students.

Career Corner Articles

For More Information

To make a free appointment with one of our career and educational counselors or advisors, call 608-263-6960.


For more information, visit the Adult Career and Special Student Services website.